Saturday, March 18, 2006

Oh my goodness! I am so angry with this whole set up, I could scream!!!! See I am in a university in Finland. It has departments and units in different places in this region. So I signed up to be a sudent tutor. To be specific an international student tutor. My problem is yes the international students here are the minority, but for goodness sake, they could have some sort of something for us. Anything. A notice poster gets puts up with the catch phrase in english and then all the info in finnish!! I mean honestly? So I signed up, just so theat there is a voice that is heard, some sort of representation! So as part of the tutor training, there are some activities that we should take part in. Like drama assignments that you learn from. BUT!!!! they do them in finnish. Most of the students here speak english, there are 5 international students here, but its as if we don't exist. Taken that its one thing if all the international students just let it slide, you can say we didnt try. But I am here. Not only am I here, but I volunteered for one of the drama excercises! Surprise surprise, they very nicely said in english..."sorry, I would much rather someone who spoke finnish...maybe next time"!!! There are two types of tutors. International student tutors and just the normal finnish student tutors. International student tutors deal with the international students....for f**ks sake are they going to deal with them in finnish? A language that only 5million people speak in this world? I dont think so!!! Isn't that part of being a tutor, dealing with challenges and finding a way around them that makes everyone feel less uncomfortable? So I walked out. Hopefully they will notice something. I know I should learn the language, but things like this make me not want to just be defiant! Everybody says how finns are shy and its hard fro them to reach out and make friends, etc etc,but honestly! You try and they just retreat into their groups and speak in their own language even if they do speak english!!! I am going to write one nasty complaint letter to whoever is in charge. They probably won't do anything about it....probably coz it won't be in finnish. But I will have tried!!! Oh the nerve!!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Spidey/Tato said...

oh yeah first here kipi beau! suck it up u tutor u

5:37 PM  
Blogger spicebear said...

washindwe all of them! shame on them for not including international students in their stuff. write those letters and make sure that you are heard. then at least they can't say that they didn't know about the problem. pepo colourless all of them. and keep those updates coming

6:38 PM  
Blogger Milonare said...

LOL at Nick's rhymes

LOLer ati they won't do anything about the complaint unless it is in Finnish...

Aki these Finnish guys are out to Finish you BFly...

Fight the good fight and take down those sheytaniz!!!

3:06 PM  
Blogger Whispering Inn said...

Rant my dear, rant!
Na washindwe! (This is the first time I've ever used that term.)

2:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home