Thursday, October 12, 2006

There is a really thin line between black and white or people of color and white people joking about color issues and racist comments...I just had an encounter and as much as I know I should take it as a joke, it came a little too close to being racist and I'm not too sure how to deal with such situations, if the people then go on to "make me feel better" by saying that I am actually white, but I just put on make up on the morning to look brown...(brown because I'm mixed race!!!) Hmmm!!! Cue laughter from them and me looking at them with an expression of....uhm, how do you expect me to react to that? Too much drama bahama for my world!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please share what was said?I am now curious!

4:11 AM  
Blogger Juju said...

yes, I have always had a problem with the black and white issue. As a teenager, I always felt I was brown, not either... and now I am so pro-black. BUT I hate that society makes us identify as one or other!! Y can't I say what I am, without people questiong? ala?

9:04 PM  
Blogger kipepeo said...

@majonzi...I know how you feel!! I hate to have to choose. I just thought I was kenyan when I was growing up, my parents brought me up not thinking bout color. It was however brought to my attention by a very crude government official when i was trying to get my i.d and she said I didnt look kenyan enough!!! gee thanks for crushing all my beliefs!!! but hey, such is life.

12:21 AM  
Blogger Juju said...

^funny, u got told that, coz I did too.. and so did all my siblings... kwanza ati not Kenyan enuff, vile Kenya we are all soo diverse!! I dont know who is a prototype Kenyan!! wacha tu... . me, I dont even have a kitambulisho, those bastards refused kabisa!! since passport office is not "affiliated" (hahaha) with the ID one, I do have a Ke pp! :-D what the hell!

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home