Saturday, June 04, 2005

kipepeo's music...

one of my favorite artists is the great Hugh Masekela. You see, i pretty much didnt listen to a wide range of music, well, up until I did my I.B. One of my subjects was theatre arts. As well as doing strange meditation excercises (which I still cant get the hang of), we were pushed into listening to all types of music. I can trully say I am a much more open person as a result of theatre arts and my mad teacher! It was in this class that I began to not only appreciate, but like african music and i dont mean like genge. I mean like african jazz. My teacher who called himself "The Big Kahuna", introduced me to the likes of Ladysmith black mambazo, fela kuti, femi kuti and the rest of the great african musicians. Its not that i had never heard of them, because I had. My father played fela kuti all the time and it would drive me up the wall! I just couldnt agree with a single song taking up one whole side of an L.P! He even made us all go to a Hugh masekela concert for new years, and as much as i enjoyed it, i didnt really want to admit it coz that was not the "cool" thing to be doing for new years eve! But with I.B, I began to understand that even if i may not necessarily understand the lyrics or be able to sing along (which i do by the way, although I have a feeling the words i sing are far from any language) to enjoy the music. The other night I watched the documentary "Amandla!" about the role of music in the south african struggle during apartheid. The sheer power of music and song. It moved people, gave them the strength they so badly needed, the encouragement. They sang to comfort themselves after losing loved ones, they sang to take away the fear....they sang for hope. Hugh Masekela was a musician of the time and many will remember him for nelson mandela's homecoming song...."bring home nelson mandela, bring him back home to soweto!". He truly touches me. So I'm making this my own Hugh Masekela week, being one of his greatest fans!

11 Comments:

Blogger kipepeo said...

@sunflower...south african music is just the wowest. youssou, and all the great west africans are also wow. got to know thereĀ“s another hugh fan out there...he rocks!!!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Sauti Radio said...

Hugh Masekela conjures up memories of long drives to Mombasa for family vacations...stopping at Mtito Andei for nyam-chom...and that divine descent to the coast....the first glimpse of the surf. Why do you do this to me?

12:40 AM  
Blogger kipepeo said...

oh my god, wow, u guys listened to hugh as well? for some reason my family likes naivasha...we'd go like almost every month and my dad would play hugh in the car, as well as mombasa trips...oh the memories!!!

10:37 AM  
Blogger Guessaurus said...

South African music rocks.
My best friend is Zimbabwean and she gets me to listen to stuff that I've never heard before, and its wow.

Great post. And I am with you on not listening to 'African' music way back coz it wasnt 'cool' - shame shame shame on us.

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post...i love this dude and his music....I can remember a concert around my parts in 02 or 03..that was my favorite and fondest memory of any CONCERT

4:37 PM  
Blogger Girl in the Meadow said...

Is Genge African Music, i love fela kuti beng beng beng,she said squeeze me, beng beng beng, she said don't come too fast,
aai

5:55 PM  
Blogger spicebear said...

haha, crys, remember how he told us that his name is mr. keGODe? yeah, that was one great teacher. being in his class opened me up to a whole lot of experiences i wouldnt have experienced otherwise as far as music is concerned. now, just remind me who sang "lagos jam" and we wil be ok! great post, brought back memories. now, do one bout al the silly things we were made to do in the name of theatre!

5:56 PM  
Blogger kipepeo said...

@guess...I know.when we used to think as long as it was american it was the in thing!!the shame!!my kids will listen to african lullabies...is that how u spell the plural...?
@msaani...hugh is a great performer. he just captivates u and takes u into this amazing whirlwind of his music...
@shiroh...im begining to wonder if genge is real african...yoyo...
@spicebear...i think it was fela kuti..im not sure..will get back to u on that...as for all those cool moments, watch out for my next post!!

8:13 PM  
Blogger kipepeo said...

@guess...I know.when we used to think as long as it was american it was the in thing!!the shame!!my kids will listen to african lullabies...is that how u spell the plural...?
@msaani...hugh is a great performer. he just captivates u and takes u into this amazing whirlwind of his music...
@shiroh...im begining to wonder if genge is real african...yoyo...
@spicebear...i think it was fela kuti..im not sure..will get back to u on that...as for all those cool moments, watch out for my next post!!

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi kipepeo :)

i'd just like to say that this is a nice blog! hugh masekela is very cool... same goes for miriam makeba.
i love african music.. the traditional, tribal sounds, and the more modern pop.. it's all good! but i live in australia, so i don't get much of a chance to see african music live. i listen to cds as much as i can, and about two months ago i bought the Amandla! dvd... wow its so fantastic! very inspiring.

i came across your site by chance - i was actually looking for the lyrics to hugh masekela's Nelson Mandela song - but i'm very glad that i've found this site, because it's the first time that i've ever been able to contact an African person :P and you seem like a really cool gal!

i have so much more to say, but this comment is probably becoming a bit too long... please visit my site sometime and maybe send me an email? i would love to hear from you ^^

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just browsing about and guess what I bumped into some Kahunas talking jive. Well, good to know that you all keeping it together and keeping it African. Listen to the "Sema" CD; it's really good.

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home