Monday, July 25, 2005

To be a woman...


This post is a bit out of my norm...acutally a bit out of the usual norm as a whole! Its a bit more personal and one of those topics that people dont really want to talk about, yet it's there. It happens to every woman, every month! Some go through it for 2,3 days, others a week, depends from woman to woman. It's happened for generations, the same things my body experiences now, some lady thousands of years ago experienced and its an amazing thing. So its about that time for me. I must admit, although my cycle is amazingly irregular, my period passes through like a breeze, i dont feel any different apart from my ocassional pit stops in the little girls bathroom. But this time, my goodness, i feel like i've been run over by a ten ton truck. My head feels like its not mine, im a bit dazy, my lower back has this tired-ish sensation that is a borderline dull pain, my tummy feels really weird and i just feel like crawling into some crevice. The fact that i went carting yesterday and got so amazinly bruised doesnt help the situation...off the main point here, i have a new found respect for formula one drivers. who would ever think that sitting and driving a car around (despite the adrenaline rush) would leave u so perfectly bruised?....Hmph. Anyway, so back to my body in the now. It got me thinking and as a woman, i dont even know what the word menstruation means, its just this scary word, i mean, couldnt they have made it a nicer word. Sheesh. Anyway, i looked it up, and this is what i came up with....

The word menstruation stems from the Greek root “men,” meaning “month,” and “menus” meaning “moon” and “power.” In Sanskrit, the root word “menses” means “ritual.”

Ok, ok, so its not too bad, i especially like the "power" bit! In the process of looking into the whole "power'' thing, thats my new term for it by the way, i came across some pretty interesting articles, like this one about the courage to discover menstruation and this one too which gives interesting insight into a mans point of view. There's so much stuff about it. I'm quite amazed. However, with all this information, we still keep it under wraps, dont talk about it, have code words for it. Its a natural part of being a woman. Something that's part of the cycle to bring forth life. That i think is truly special. I'm not saying I'm going to go out anouncing to the world every time i have my period, but i'm not going to treat it as if it's some taboo thing going on. Although, i still think i need a warm cup of tea, a blankie, a good movie and no irritating people around me!

9 Comments:

Blogger kipepeo said...

@kymmbr..i know, i'm loving it...."power"!!

11:38 AM  
Blogger Farmgal said...

galfriend can u imagine kuna watu who go thru horrible pains every month. When I was in school I watched girls cry coz of 'power' and every month was same ol'story.

1:16 PM  
Blogger spicebear said...

i liked the article that gave it from a mans point of view. they tend to understand so little about a womans cycle that its rare and refreshing to find one who accepts it as being part of you and not being gross or inappropriate. one thing irritates me though - why is it that everytime a woman is in a bad mood some men always assume its cos shes on her period ... it would be funny if it wasnt offensive at times

7:47 PM  
Blogger kipepeo said...

@farmgal...yeah, they can be pretty painful. luckily iv never had it so bad.knock on wood.
@spicey...tell me about men who blame "i really didnt find that funny" on pms...WTF?? and yeah, the mans point of view article was quite uplifting.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Prousette said...

*I shall blush furiously as I write this*
I feel terribly sexy at THAT time of the month. And pole for feeling like you have been run over by a truck

8:33 AM  
Blogger kipepeo said...

@prousette...wow, i wish i could feel that way. good for you!!! i'm jealous!!

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would you rather have them or would you rather not have them? Do you enjoy having them or do you not enjoy having them?

7:47 PM  
Blogger kipepeo said...

@chafu...mix of all the above really.

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I''ll be back. Later :)

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home